[ From Athens to Biarritz ]  [ North British Railway ]

Branching Out

Previous
Next
Text only version of this page


In 1892, shares were issued in a new scheme to open up the villages west of North Berwick. The Aberlady, Gullane and North Berwick Railway opened six years later but was absorbed by the North British Railway in 1900.


 [ 19th century map showing railway lines in East Lothian - link to larger version ]

Click on image for larger version


 [ Longniddry Station ]

Longniddry Station - a busy station which had been opened to both passengers and goods with the main east coast line in June 1846. Here a J35 Stevenson Locomotive Society Special arrives from Haddington on a week long branch tour in June 1960. The 60031 Gresley Pacific ‘Golden Plover’ is on its way to Edinburgh.


Aberlady Station in North British days - opened as part of the Aberlady, Gullane and North Berwick Railway Company in 1898 and absorbed by the North British Railway in 1900.


 [ Aberlady Station ]
 [ Gullane Station ]

Gullane Station in North British days - opened in 1898 and closed in June 1964 along with Aberlady.


Dirleton Station - the intermediate stop in the early days from North Berwick to Drem, closed to passsengers in 1952 and to goods two years later.


 [ Dirleton Station ]

© Glasgow University Archives & Business Records Centre


 [ Luffness Station ]

© Glasgow University Archives & Business Records Centre


Luffness Station - the private halt opened to members of the New Luffness Golf Club, opened in September 1903 by Walter Henry Hope, who paid a rent to the North British Railway for the privilege.


Drem Station - as the junction where the branch lines joined the main east coast line, this was well equipped with two platforms, station buildings, goods shed, water tower and sidings. This view looks east towards the junction which is on the left.


 [ Drem Station ]

© Glasgow University Archives & Business Records Centre


 [ Haddington Station ]

Haddington with a southbound NBR train - opened as a branch line to the public along with the main east coast line on 22nd June 1846.


North Berwick, before the demolition of the original station buildings.


 [ North Berwick Station ]

· Museums home page · Exhibitions · North Berwick Museum · Next · Previous ·


© East Lothian Council 2000